When you’re going to be out in the wilderness for days at a time, food is a big piece of the planning and packing process of your adventure. You want snacks that will nourish you, energize you, and of course, taste good!
There are a few things to consider when planning snacks for your hiking and camping adventures. Be realistic and make sure you have enough food, but over pack and force yourself to carry unwanted weight and bulk. Opt for snacks that are a mix of complex carbohydrates and protein, which will provide more sustainable energy.
I like to make sure snacks pass the “backpack test.” This term was created from one of my many hiking adventures. Snacks need to withstand being jostled around in your backpack during camping explorations. Consider repacking foods into resealable plastic baggies to minimize bulk and garbage.
Backpack friendly snacks for camping:
- GORP (aka. Trail mix) – Trail mix is one of the most common hiking snacks to bring because it is calorically dense and nourishing for a hike without taking up much space in your pack.
- Fun fact: True hikers called trail mix “gorp” meaning “good old raisins and peanuts.” Now there are plenty trail mix combinations, check out these allergy-friendly recipes.
- Jerky – This is a lightweight protein packed snack, but be mindful of the amount of sodium and ingredients in the jerky you are choosing. Find an all-natural brand that provides lean protein and healthy fats.
- Fruit – Be mindful of the types of fruit you pack, mainly due to the “backpack test.” Think of sturdy fruits without a lot of mess. Apples, oranges, and pears are great choices.
- Smart tip: Pair fruit with a single-serve nut butter packet for a more sustainable snack.
- Applesauce – Those squeezable packets might be meant for kids, but they make a good backpack snack.
- Bars – There are some really great bars now available. KIND, Rx bars, and GoMacro bars are quick and easy to pack, but you can also try making your own.
Happy adventuring! Share your healthy snack ideas in the comments section below!
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.