When I was younger, I didn’t like eggs (hard to imagine now!), but I would regularly swing by a fast food drive through and grab a sausage and cheese biscuit for breakfast. It was quick and easy and meant that I didn’t have to think about what to make. One of the most common phrases I hear my clients say is “My mornings are so crazy, I just don’t have time for a healthy breakfast!”. Often, a fast food breakfast sandwich ends up filling that void.
But that doesn’t have to be the case. With just a little planning, you can make a quick and healthy breakfast sandwich right at home. By making it at home, you can control the ingredients, which means you can include more protein, vegetables, and healthy fat, and less sodium, grease, and saturated fat.
I’ve rounded up eight of my favorite healthy breakfast sandwich recipes. What do they all have in common? Each recipe includes protein, whole grains, fiber, and healthy fat, for a meal that is guaranteed to keep you full and satiated for hours. Get your day started on the right foot with one of these delicious breakfast sandwich recipes.
- Freezer-Friendly Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches by Emily Kyle Nutrition. These ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer for up to three months. The perfect make ahead meal to save you time in the morning.
- Egg, Greens and Goat Cheese Sandwich by Nutritious Eats. Goat cheese plus eggs? Yes please! These simple sandwiches feature sunny-side up eggs, fresh spinach, and creamy goat cheese on seeded whole wheat bread. The eggs cook quickly, and you can put these sandwiches together in under five minutes.
- Mediterranean Style Egg and Cheese by Nutritious Eats. Try this variation of the classic egg and cheese sandwich. This drool-worthy sandwich includes mashed avocado, halloumi cheese and rosemary garlic roasted tomatoes, plus a perfectly poached egg.
- Avocado Waffle Toast by RDelicious. Upgrade your avocado toast with this recipe, featuring a whole wheat waffle instead of bread. With eggs, tomato, and avocado, this yummy open-faced sandwich is packed with lean protein, whole grains, healthy fats, and veggies.
- Easy Spinach Egg Sandwich by 360 Family Nutrition. Save even more time with this breakfast sandwich, featuring a microwavable omelet! Try this kitchen hack and cut down your prep time to just two minutes.
- Fried Egg and Avocado Sandwich by Food, Pleasure and Health. Fresh greens, whole grain toast, fried eggs, and avocado come together in this simple breakfast sandwich.
- Open-Faced One-Pan Egg Sandwich by Mom’s Kitchen Handbook. Keep clean-up to a minimum and try this one-pan breakfast sandwich. Toast the bread, wilt greens, and cook your egg all at the same time.
- Healthy Breakfast Sandwich by Ellie Krieger. Forget basic scrambled eggs: this recipe ups the taste (and nutrition) by adding fresh herbs. The sandwich is rounded out with lean Canadian bacon, thick slices of tomato, and a whole-wheat English muffin.
Egg Breakfast Pita with Feta and Spinach
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 loosely packed cups of fresh spinach
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole wheat pita, cut in half
- Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and cook one to two minutes or until wilted.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture into the skillet.
- As eggs begin to set, pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula. Continue cooking, pulling and folding the eggs, until they form soft curds and no liquid egg remains.
- Remove skillet from heat and add crumbled feta, folding into the eggs until combined.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper as desired.
- Place half of the egg mixture into each of the whole wheat pita halves, topping with avocado and tomato slices. Enjoy! Makes 2 servings
For more breakfast ideas, check out these breakfast ideas using your favorite Luvo meals. Be sure to unlock a coupon to use on your next Luvo purchase and download Luvo’s 7-day meal and fitness plan for more nutrition tips and recipes.
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.