With winter, comes cold weather (at least for some of us) and that cold weather makes us crave comfort food. Snuggling in our pj’s and cozying up to a warm bowl of mac and cheese or chicken pot pie leaves us feeling like we just got a big hug. But those comfort foods also tend to be heavy on the calories and saturated fat. That’s certainly not the kind of hug our body needs. So what’s a comfort-food-lover to do? Why, ask the dietitian of course!
No, don’t cringe. There are some pretty kitchen-savvy Registered Dietitian’s out there who know a thing or two about tasty food. Luckily for us they also have some pretty great tricks for turning your favorite comfort foods into nourishing meals. And we’ve asked them to give us some of their favorite comfort foods that just happen to have a nutritious twist!
Let’s Start With Breakfast!
- from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN, CDN, of C it Nutritionally l
- from Amy Gorin, MS, RDN, owner of Amy Gorin Nutrition
- Egg Breakfast Pita with Feta and Spinach from Luvo
How About Some Sides?
- from Alexis Joseph, MS, RD, Founder of Hummusapien and Co-Founder of Alchemy Juice Bar and Cafe
- from Tawnie Kroll, RDN, of Kroll’s Korner
- Hawaiian Un-Fried Rice from Luvo
Plenty Of Pasta Riffs!
- from Emily Kyle, MS, RDN, Owner of Emily Kyle Nutrition
- from Lori Zanini, RD, CDE, Co-Founder of For the Love of Diabetes
- from Rebecca Clyde, MS, RDN, CD
- from Chrissy Carroll, RD and USAT Level I Try Coach from Snacking in Sneakers.
- from Kara Golis, RD of Byte Sized Nutrition
- from Karman Meyer, RDN, LDN, Founder of of The Nutrition Adventure
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese plus Greens from Luvo
- Vegan Mac & Cheese with Spicy Collard Greens and Crispy Cauliflower Crumbles from Luvo
Other Comfort Classics!
- from Liz Weiss, MS, RDN, of Liz’s Healthy Table
- from Kara Lyon, RD, The Foodie Dietitian
- from Elizabeth Shaw, MS, RDN, CLT of Shaw Simple Swaps
- from Sara Haas RDN, LDN
- from Michele Redmond, RD of The Taste Workshop
- from Lindsey Janeiro, RDN of Nutrition To Fit
And Finally, Dessert!
- from Shannon A. Garcia, MDS, RD, LD with KiSS in the Kitchen
- from Kaleigh McMordie, RD, of Lively Table
- from Diana K. Rice, RD, The Baby Steps Dietitian
- Vegan Carrot Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Luvo
What’s your favorite comfort food? Share in the comments section below!
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.