Tis’ the season for turmeric! The southern India plant, often dried and added to curry dishes or relish, gives foods a vibrant, yellow hue. Its taste is subtle, providing a light peppery flavor and a touch of bitterness that complements most dishes, but especially root vegetables, lentils, and greens.
Aside from its versatility, turmeric has been the talk of 2016 due to proposed health benefits stemming from the plant compound curcumin. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties are amongst the health claims, but more research is needed to confirm that these properties are generalizable to the entire population.
One thing we do know – turmeric will add beautiful color and spice to your holiday feast this year. Sprinkle a dash into your own classic recipes (think roasted winter veggies, mashed potatoes, and rice pilaf) or surprise your guests with some of these dietitian created, turmeric-spiced dishes below:
- Quinoa Stuffing by Jessica Levinson of Nutritioulicious
- Carnival Squash Soup by Sharon Palmer of The Plant-Powered Dietitian
- Nepali Style Cauli Aloo by Dixya Bhattarai at Food, Pleasure and Health
- Curried Red Lentil Hummus by Dianna Sinna of Chard in Charge
- Apple Cider Turmeric Vinaigrette by Marie Dittmer of Healthy Ideas Place
- Turmeric Eggnog by Deanna Segrave-Daly of Teaspoon of Spice
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Donuts by Jamie Vespa at Dishing Out Health
Happy holidays from our Luvo family to yours!
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.