How do you “meatball?” For many, it means gargantuan portions of meatballs resting atop a big pile of white pasta, but we advise you to forgo that type of over-indulgence. Instead, we recommend to meatball the right way by following these 3 simple tips!
Tip 1: Use lean ground turkey or chicken
Swap out all, three quarters or half of the ground beef, lamb or pork in your recipe with lean ground turkey. By making that switch, you’ll naturally reduce the total fat and saturated fat in your meatball recipe. You’ll see many of our recipes in our round-up follow this tip! Worried about flavor? Don’t be! Turkey meatballs are just as delicious as their ground beef counterparts!
Tip 2: Add some mushrooms
Mushrooms are packed with robust “meaty” flavor, making them a perfect substitute for some of the ground meat in your meatballs. Adding mushrooms is a great way to reduce the fat and calories in your meatball recipes, while also adding nutrition. Mushrooms also add moisture, something any good meatball needs.
Tip 3: Pack in the flavor
Some people might say ground turkey is pretty bland, and it can be, that’s why we recommend you add plenty of flavor to that meatball farce. Our favorites include dried and fresh herbs such as thyme, basil and Italian seasoning. You can also add flavorings such as minced garlic, parmesan cheese and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
Now that you’re feeling inspired, why not try some of these great recipes from some of our favorite healthy food bloggers!
The Meatball Round-Up
- Turkey Meatballs from Sally Twellman, RDN o
- Bison Meatballs and Penne Marinara from Vicki Shanta Retelny, RDN
- Pistachio Turkey Meatballs from Elizabeth Shaw, MS, RDN, CLT
- Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs from Brittany Poulson, RDN, CDE of Your Choice Nutrition
- Baked Spinach and Ricotta Meatballs from Aggie Goodman
- The Best Gluten-Free Meatballs from Amee Livingston
- Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Curry Sauce from Karman Meyer, RD
- Turkey Meatballs with Zucchini Spaghetti from Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN
- Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs from Katie Sullivan Morford, RDN
- Mini Turkey Meatballs with Curried Cranberry Sauce from Anne Danahy, RDN
- Cha Cha Cha Chia Meatballs by Janice Newell Bissex RDN, and Liz Weiss RDN
What are your best meatball making tips? Share your recipe in the comments below!
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.