Springtime brings warm weather, flowers, and of course, strawberries. Once I take my first bite into a plump, juicy strawberry, I know spring is officially here. The fruit harvest started down South in April and is making it’s way up the coast. Here in New York, fresh, ripe strawberries are beginning to pop up on farm stands and at street vendors. Delicious in both sweet and savory dishes, or as a stand-alone snack, strawberries are a versatile fruit you can enjoy at any meal.
Did you know that one serving of strawberries (eight berries) packs more vitamin C than an orange? Plus strawberries are an excellent source of potassium, folate, fiber, and antioxidants. Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring, with the U.S. strawberry season typically running from April through late June. California is the leading producer, providing 88% of the country’s strawberries. With its temperate climate, California can produce the berries year round.
Choosing and Storing Strawberries
With pick your own farms all around the country, you can stock up on enough fresh berries to last you the entire summer. Look for firm, fully red berries, as once they are picked strawberries stop ripening. Store a week’s worth in your fridge, washing them right before eating so they are less prone to spoilage. Freeze extra berries: wash them well then cut off the green tops. Store in plastic bags or freezer-safe containers for up to a few months. Thaw and add to recipes, or toss the frozen berries directly into smoothies or hot oats.
From favorites like strawberry shortcake, popsicles and smoothies to unexpected main course meals, enjoy strawberries in a variety of ways while they’re at their peak this month. Try these mouthwatering strawberry recipes to fit those bright red beauties into your day.
- Strawberry Chia Jam from Kara Lydon The Foodie Dietitian
- Peanut Butter Berry Parfait from Shaw’s Simple Swaps
- Berry Pistachio Crunch Smoothie Bowl from Amy Gorin Nutrition
- Strawberry Vanilla Sorghum Parfait from Nutrition Starring You
- Lemon Ricotta Ravioli with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries from Nutritioulicious
- Strawberry Coconut Kale Salad from Hummusapien
- Strawberry Lemon Poppyseed Dressing from Prep Dish
- Balsamic Chicken and Strawberry Panini from The Lean Green Bean
- Strawberry Kale Salad with Goat Cheese Croutons from Marisa Moore Nutrition
- Strawberry Mango Salsa from Holley Grainger RD
- Fresh Fruit Salad with Minty Honey Lime Syrup from Christy Wilson Nutrition
- Strawberry Fruit Leathers from Real Mom Nutrition
- Strawberry Grape Sorbet from Jenny Shea Rawn
- Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Shortcake from The Foodie Dietitian
- Red, White and Blue Fruity Waffle Cups from 360 Family Nutrition
- Strawberry Basil Tarts from Live Best
- Chocolate Mousse Filled Strawberries from Nutrition Starring You
- Strawberry Almond Sugar Cookies from Kelly’s Knack for Cooking
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Water from 360 Family Nutrition
- Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa from Nutritioulicious
- Strawberry Banana Lemon Smoothie from Kiss in the Kitchen
- Tangerine Strawberry Creamsicle Smoothie from Nutrition a la Natalie
- Strawberry Beet Smoothie from Homemade Nutrition
Share your favorite strawberry recipe with us in the comments below.
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.