The health benefits of drinking water are nearly too numerous to name, and yet we’ve all let our water bottle sit untouched on the desk all day, despite the best of intentions.
The general rule of thumb is to divide your weight in pounds to determine how many ounces of water you should drink each day. It’s more individualized than the common “8 glasses per day” rule, since larger or smaller bodies may need more or less hydration. The most accurate way to determine hydration is to look at the color of your urine. If you’re well hydrated, it will be very pale yellow or clear. Also note, if you’re more active, especially outside in the heat, you will need much more water to stay hydrated.
But let’s be honest, water isn’t exactly the most interesting beverage around, so even if you know your hydration needs, it can be hard to reach it. But if you make your water taste extra-refreshing and delicious, you may find yourself gulping it up without even thinking about it! Make water fun with these nine unique flavor combinations to jazz up your next glass of H20.
To make flavored water, add the ingredients to the bottom of a large pitcher. If you like, muddle with the back of a wooden spoon to release some of the juices. Then, fill the jar with water and let it sit in the refrigerator a few hours for the flavors to combine. If you’d like a lot of different flavors to choose from, make a few combinations in quart sized mason jars and store in the refrigerator until ready to drink. You could even try this with sparkling water if you enjoy the fizz!
- Hydrating mojito: 2 sliced limes + 1/3 cup mint leaves
Add a little agave if you’d like a little sweetness.
- Margarita water: watermelon + lime + small slice of jalapeno
- Summer water: ½ cup halved strawberries + 1/3 cup fresh basil
- Tropical water: ½ cup frozen mango + ½ cup frozen pineapple
Using frozen fruit will chill your water and slowly infuse it with flavor as it defrosts. This water is also delicious mixed with coconut water!
- Spicy water: 1 inch piece of sliced ginger + ½ cup pineapple chunks + 1 sliced orange
- Fall water: 1 sliced apple + 2 cinnamon sticks
- Citrus: ½ sliced orange + ½ sliced grapefruit + ½ sliced lemon
This is also delicious with a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme!
Refreshing & relaxing
- Spa water: 1 sliced cucumber + ½ cup cubed honeydew
- Herbal: 1 sliced lemon + 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Substitute a tea ball filled with a teaspoon of lavender or chamomile tea for an even more relaxing H2O experience.
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.