Mugs can do much more than hold your favourite hot beverages. They’re also great for making just one or two servings of something delicious to eat. In fact, you can make a variety of snacks
and desserts using a mug and your microwave, which is exactly what our in-house culinary genius Gabriel Cabrera (The Artful Desperado) did with this recipe. It’s a decadent carrot cake in a mug with coconut cream topping (and it all just happens to be vegan so all your dairy-free pals can dig in too!).
(makes 2 mug cakes)
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
For the coconut cream:
- 1 can of coconut milk chilled in the fridge for 2 hours
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Grab 2 bowls.
- In one bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In the other bowl combine all of the wet ingredients and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Make a little well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ones. Mix just until combined (don’t over mix or it’ll be a tough cake).
- Divide the mix in half and pour each half into a mug.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Test them by inserting a skewer into the cake – it should come out clean. Let cakes cool down to room temp.
- Open the can of chilled coconut milk, scoop out the solids on the top (avoid getting any of the liquid) and place solids in a bowl with the maple syrup and whisk until combined.
- Scoop some of the coconut cream on top of the carrot cake and enjoy!
PRO TIP: make sure the mugs you use have a flat/straight edges so the cake rises properly. If you use a curved mug (the ones that dip at the end) the cake will turn out quite heavy and dense.
Try this mug cake recipe and let us know what you think! Tell us in the comments below.
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.