There’s nothing quite like holiday flavors and smells. Cinnamon and pine infusing the house. Warm, straight-of-out-of-the-oven cookies from a marathon holiday baking session. The scent of the first snow. A glass of sweet, creamy, spiced eggnog by the crackling fire.
If you’re vegan or dairy-free, you may have had to settle for sad, watered-down versions of eggnog made with over-sweetened plant-milks. I’ve tried a few and while they’re kinda reminiscent of eggnog…not really! They’re missing that extra thick and creamy texture that makes eggnog so delicious.
The base for this recipe is homemade coconut-cashew milk. The combination of toasted, shredded coconut and rich, nutty cashews gives it an extra-rich flavor and texture. Feel free to add more liquid to get a thinner consistency if that’s how you like it.
Even if you’re not vegan or dairy-free, I think you’ll still love this nog as a slightly lighter beverage that won’t leave you with a tummy ache–unless you’re drinking it with whiskey or rum–then I can’t make any guarantees! I love to keep this vegan eggnog on hand as a seasonal snack, packed with healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates from dates.
Visit our Pinterest Page for more photos.
Did you enjoy this post? Stay in the know with more nutrition tips, and exclusive promo offers — join our newsletter.
- Servings 3-4
- Prep Time 10 min
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup cashews, soaked in water at least 4 hours
10-12 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
2 cups of water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Whiskey or rum (optional)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread coconut evenly on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring every couple minutes until coconut is golden and toasted.
- Place drained cashews, coconut, dates, and water in a blender. Blend for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth placed over a large pitcher, squeezing through as much liquid as possible. Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Serve about a ½ cup of nog on its own or with a splash of whiskey or rum. If desired, garnish with nutmeg.
Be sure to check out Luvo’s vegan line and sign up for our newsletter for more nutritious tips and exclusive giveaways!